Appealing a Hearing Decision

Appealing a Hearing Decision

How do I appeal the judge’s hearing decision?

If you disagree with the judge’s decision, you may appeal by filing a “Petition for Review.” You must file the Petition for Review within 30 days of the mailing date listed on the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) decision. A Petition for Review is a letter that states the reasons for which you disagree with the judge’s decision.

If you have not already done so, download the audio recording of the hearing from your OAH Participant Portal. Listen to the recording and find the parts that help show that you quit for good cause or were not fired for misconduct (or whatever the issue you are appealing may be). In the letter, you should explain why you think the judge’s decision was wrong, using examples from the recording. Be as organized and specific as possible.

The letter must be no longer than five pages and signed by you. At the top of the letter, you should write “Petition for Review,” and include your name and address, your social security number, and the Docket Number on the decision. Continue to file weekly claims during this period when you are appealing.

Where should I send the Petition for Review or the Response?

Your Petition for Review (or response letter) must be mailed to:

Commissioner’s Review Office
Employment Security Department
P.O. Box 9555
Olympia, WA 98507-9555

You should always check your decision to verify that this is the correct address. The appeal must have proper postage. You may wish to send the appeal via certified mail to verify its delivery. You should write on either letter that you sent a copy of your Petition for Review or your response to your former employer or its representative, and then do so.

Questions about appealing an ESD decision? Click here.

Questions about appealing a Commissioner’s decision? Click here.